Saturday, December 4, 2010

Crema

Crema is a celebrated Portland coffee shop, and I've been wanting to try it for a while. On a Friday afternoon, it was very busy. What's with these packed coffee shops in the middle of the afternoon? Is everybody unemployed in Portland? That's an alarming thought; how am I going to get a job if I'm competing with the beautiful hipsters that fill the coffee shops? Maybe they are all freelance graphic designers or in graduate school or something.

I ordered  a 5-oz. cappuccino and an apricot scone, which was the only scone left. Crema has a large bakery selection, much larger than any other shop visited thus far. Maybe this will be my methodology: order a small cappuccino and a scone at each place. That would be something, to have a methodology. Maybe I'll even start taking pictures like a respectable blogger.

I can see why Crema is such hot shit. The cappuccino was amazing. It was smoky and rich and interesting, and had only a little foam. The scone was above reproach, too. It was very rich and light and crisp, and moderately sized. The scone itself was vanilla scented, with a little plop of apricot jam baked into it. If it were any bigger it would be too much. The scone was of the caliber of Ristretto, but I'm going to give a slightly higher score because the cappuccino was so good. I left feeling at first satisfied, thinking, "What a pick me up!" but later, nauseated. I arrived at Crema in the middle of the afternoon having skipped lunch, and maybe cappuccino and scone isn't a great way to fill your stomach.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment